Sunday, August 30, 2009

Twitter: Why do you follow who you follow?

I've been using Twitter for a while now, and have roughly the same number of followers as those I follow. I was just browsing my lists, and got to thinking. Why are these people there? Most are people I previously knew from other websites and social networks. Many are those with common interest in blackberry devices. Some I have added because I agree with their views and opinions on current events, and some because I Disagree with them - just for exposure to differing views. There is a large number that were recommended by others I was already following, and yet others that were following me, and I liked what they had to say after viewing their posting history. A lot of celebrities are on my list - actors and actresses, comedians, models, and the like.
I still get random followers, and I have to wonder - Why? How does a person find me, what search terms did they use, which of the several links to my account did they use, and then - what prompted the decision to click that "Follow" button? I make an honest attempt to keep up with all of the updates, and reply as I can, or when needed. I do have quite a varied and interesting group of Tweeters, and am glad I have them.
With over 500 followers (which by no means is a huge amount), I just had to wonder. Why? Leave a comment and let me know what goes into your decision to follow certain people or not follow them. Tweet content, notoriety, large followings, looks... whatever it may be. Just curious.

No comments: