One of the ugliest words I know. I'm no expert in race related issues, or historical facts on the subject, but I do know I'm absolutely sick of it. I did grow up in a house that was actually quite tolerant - with the one exception. My Dad, God rest his soul, had one phrase that seriously bothered me. "She's good looking - for a black woman." Why add that?? Would anyone say the opposite? "She sure is ugly - for a white woman." This may sound cliche, or even sound like a lie, but I honestly don't see color at all. I see people. That's it. If I meet someone, and we get along, then we're good. A person's views, attitude, personality, or treatment of others may have a bearing on any future friendship, but race or ethnicity will not. Ever. It may be unrealistic to believe racism will ever go away, but I'd love to see it happen. The first African-American President. The first Latino Supreme Court Justice. Awesome, really. I would just love to see the day when things like these are not newsworthy simply because of the ethnic background of the individual. When we can just say the best person got the position - Period. When a person is a person based on personal thoughts, ideals, and beliefs, not on skin color, last name, or even what pew they sit in.
I might be asking for too much, but I surely don't think I am. "This black guy...." - "A white dude..." How about just "A guy...."? Of course, there will always be times for identification purposes - for missing persons, law enforcement - when a more detailed description is needed. But for day to day conversations, is it really necessary to include race? Nope.
Hey - even a white guy can dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment