When did Attitude get such a bad rap? "manner, disposition, feeling, position, etc., with regard to a person or thing; tendency or orientation, esp. of the mind."
By definition it is not positive or negative, but on a daily basis, it's used in a very negative way.
As humans, not only should we be willing to accept others' attitudes, but actively seek them out. If we never experience or know the attitudes of others, how can we expect anyone to care about ours? Too often, people want to be heard. That's not a bad thing, but it cannot be the main focus of one's life. "Here's what I think." " My feelings are..." Which is absolutely great - let your views be known - but for every "I" there needs to be a "you".
"What are your thoughts?" "How do you feel about it?" Much more useful than your own feelings. You already know your own attitude, so get as many views on a given topic as you can. Take time every day to listen to someone else. Get an opinion, get a glimpse of another perspective. It's human nature to want to be heard - but it takes a conscious effort to listen.
Attitudes are neutral. They are the Switzerland of emotions. They can be neither right or wrong, but simply are. So instead of thinking "I hope I don't get any attitude today", try "I hope I get the opportunity to experience someone's attitude today". You'll get another persons views, give someone else the option to be heard, and who knows... you might just hear something that could change YOUR attitude. Give it a try.
1 comment:
Thanks for writing this Chaz.
I realize sometimes that my attitude reflects a bit of selfishness, and I'm often impatient with my kids and their "attitudes". It would help me to remember that everyone's opinion is important in some way, and to really listen and try to understand the point-of-view that isn't mine. :)
Post a Comment