There are many types of people effected on 9/11/01. Those that perished, those that were in the buildings but made it out, those that witnessed the attacks first hand, those that knew and loved people lost, and those that watched the catastrophes on TV. Let's remember everything that happened, everyone lost, and how we felt that day. Think about them, pray for them, remember them in your own way.
I was working as a delivery driver for a remodeling company that morning. I arrived at one of the job sites just after the first collision and watched the news there for 15 minutes or so, but had to get to the next job. Arrived there just after the second one. Watched the events unfold there for a couple hours. Not a lot of work got done the rest of the day. I still remember the actual locations and the customers at those jobs more than any others. We shared that historic, terrible, and life-changing day. It is our generation's "where were you when JFK was shot?" or "where you were when Pearl Harbor was attacked?".
I still cry every time the footage of that day is replayed. I wasn't there, I knew no one who was there or was lost, I knew no one on any of the planes or on the ground at any location involved. But that day changed me. Changed the nation, and even the world. Devastating. That's the most fitting word I can think of. A feeling of helplessness, of loss, confusion, anger. Simply devastating.
Please put your political views, your opinion on the reaction to the attacks, and any partisan preferences aside just for today, and comment on this with your thoughts, prayers, or what you were doing on that fateful day, eight short years ago.
1 comment:
Well written Chaz.
It was pretty early over here (Vancouver, BC) when we got a drift as to what was happening. I was getting dressed for school and I was listening to The Beat 94.5. They said something about the Trade Centers being hit and I had NO idea what that meant but I went upstairs to tell my parents, who were eating breakfast and reading the paper. They freaked and turned on CNN. That day at school was different. We were called in to the biggest room we had (the entire school) and our head master explained to us what was happening. I was terrified for months. My heart goes out to everything who was affected by this sick happening of events.
Post a Comment